Spaghetti pomodoro is a dish that is the epitome of European style… and is completely easy and quick to prepare at home. And sometimes, life should really be that simple!
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 x 400 grams good quality tinned tomatoes
salt & pepper
400 grams of dried spaghetti
20 grams parmesan cheese
bunch of basil
1. Start by peeling and chopping the onion and garlic, as well as the basil leaves and stalks. Open the tins of tomatoes. Fill a large pot half way with water and leave to boil while cooking the sauce.
2. Put a saucepan on medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and cook for around 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are golden and soft.
3. Then add the garlic and basil stalks and leave all together for a few minutes before adding the tin tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave for 15 minutes. At this point, add the dry spaghetti to the pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and olive oil (to stop the pasta sticking together). Cook spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
4. After 15 minutes, add in the chopped basil to the sauce and take off the heat.
5. Once pasta and sauce are ready, mix together in a pot and then serve with fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese.